Gain Strategies for Positive and Effective Intercultural Communication
Diversity goes beyond demographic characteristics such as age, gender, race, physical ability, or sexual orientation – it is really about variation in perception, modes of thinking, feeling, communication, and behaving. If managed correctly, these differences that can help an organization succeed. When celebrated, a diverse workforce will find a greater variety of solutions, increased adaptability in members and the organization, and a level of comfort in communicating effectively in any situation.
This course will address the basics of intercultural communication. It will help attendees see that culture dictates our perceptions and behavior, and that differing cultural values are important to personal and organizational success. We will discuss empathy and self-awareness, collaborative language, nonverbal communication, relationship building, intercultural conflict management, and barriers to effective communication such as stereotyping, discrimination and prejudice. Ultimately attendees will gain the tools they need for positive and effective intercultural communication.
After attending this course, attendees will be able to:
- Describe the concept of diversity and why it should be celebrated
- Describe their own cultural heritage and identities
- Determine their own perceptions, stereotypes and prejudices, and understand how to recognize them in the future
- Understand and describe how culture, behavior, communication and core values intertwine
- Maintain a conversation style that seeks similarities, not differences, in others
- Interpret the behaviors of another culture within that culture’s own framework
- Communicate more effectively with team members and clients despite cultural barriers
- Identify cultural dichotomies within their own culture, others cultures, and their organization
- Empathize and respect others to create a supportive and collaborative work environment
- Celebrate differences in ideas and ways of doing things
This course is highly interactive, and includes a workbook, activities, discussions and assessments.