The American Psychological Association announced its 2015 winners of the Psychologically Healthy Workplace Awards. The winners are American Express, Beach Cities Health District, Beehive PR, Hilltop Community Resources, LaSalle Network and Team Horner.
We can all learn something from these winners, as they have half as much turnover (20% compared to the 40% national average), and have better employee satisfaction. They offer health and wellness programs, mental health resources, and stress management resources. Employees indicate they believe their leaders value employee involvement, training and development, recognition, and work/life balance.
How do you build a psychologically healthy workplace? According to this year’s winners, you should try implementing the following:
- Open-door management policy
- Professional development programs
- Regular company-wide meetings
- Annual employee satisfaction surveys
- Reimbursement for higher education
- Productivity bonuses
- Performance-based bonuses
- Peer-to-peer recognition
- Core value awards programs
- Healthful snacks and office exercise
- Flexible hours or flextime
- Employee-run safety committees
Check out APA’s newsletter to learn more about the winners and these programs.