As I walked into our new office space a few weeks ago, I couldn’t help but take a deep breath and realize just how far Civility Partners has come.
Although it was over a decade ago, it feels like just yesterday I was sitting on the floor of my studio apartment in Ocean Beach, California, eating takeout and digging deep into research about workplace bullying.
In those days, when I told people I met that I was a consultant specializing in resolving workplace bullying, they responded by joking that I must get hired to beat people up.
…Or they’d tell me I could never have a viable consulting firm focused on that topic, and needed to be (yet another) leadership coach or communication skills trainer.
But I stuck to my guns. Today, when I mention what I do, 48% of people pour their hearts out and share their own bullying story. The other 52% say, “I wish I knew you when I was at my last company. I quit because of a bully.”
Workplace bullying has gotten a lot of attention since I started this gig, and Civility Partners has come a long way.
But right now, because I’m celebrating this milestone and Civility Partners’ growth, I thought I’d share some of what we do internally to keep our own workplace positive and healthy.
Transparency creates meaning in our work
My employees know Civility Partners’ revenue, where we are with financial goals, and the things that keep me up at night as the CEO. So we brainstorm regularly to problem solve, innovate, and grow. As a result, my employees are attached to Civility Partners. It’s more than a job to them, it’s something they are building.
We have fun
We have lunch together, go on walks together to get outside, and meet for happy hour. We genuinely enjoy each other’s company. (And we don’t let non-fun people work here.)
We love millennial-mentality
Although people seem to be annoyed that millennials want respect and time off, I think they’re on to something. We’ve developed a culture of people feeling free to go home if they aren’t their best self or need time to study or remove distractions, and we’ve all taken advantage of it (even me).
Employee opinions are valued
My employees picked our new office space, provided motivational quotes for our quote wall, and constantly provide input on products, services, procedures and work. They are co-captains, not employees.
Our office set up is open to facilitate collaboration – Our desks are essentially in a circle – so we can talk to each other, ask questions, and easily collaborate.
These are just some of the fun things we do here to keep us positive… what are you doing?? I’d love to collect your ideas and share them in my next blog!